Categorized | news

ARE YOU A SOLO PARENT?…You Can Apply For A Solo Parent Id Card

DSWD encourages solo parents to apply for a solo parent ID card to avail of their benefits.

DSWD encourages solo parents to apply for a solo parent ID card to avail of their benefits.

RA 8972 or the Solo Parent’s Welfare Act of 2000 provides for a comprehensive program of services for solo parents and their children to be carried out by concerned agencies led by the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), and non-government organizations.

As the lead agency monitoring the implementation of the law, the DSWD encourages Local Government Units (LGUs) to fully implement the provisions of the law to respond to the emerging needs of solo parents and their children. The LGU’s are the frontliners in providing services for solo parents and their children.

The DSWD also conducts the research necessary to develop a new body of knowledge on solo parents; define executive and legislative measures needed to promote and protect the interest of solo parents and their children; and assess the effectiveness of designed programs.

To avail of the programs and services provided by the LGUs and different concerned agencies, solo parents must first apply for a solo parent identification card (SP ID) at the local City/Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office (C/MSWDO) where they reside.

Who is considered as a “solo parent”?

A “solo parent” (pursuant to Republic Act No. 8972, also known as the “Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000″) is any individual who falls under any of the following categories:

(1) A woman who gives birth as a result of rape and other crimes against chastity even without a final conviction of the offender: Provided, That the mother keeps and raises the child;

(2) Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood due to death of spouse;

(3) Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood while the spouse is detained or is serving sentence for a criminal conviction for at least one (1) year;

(4) Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood due to physical and/or mental incapacity of spouse as certified by a public medical practitioner;

(5) Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood due to legal separation or de facto separation from spouse for at least one (1) year, as long as he/she is entrusted with the custody of the children;

(6) Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood due to declaration of nullity or annulment of marriage as decreed by a court or by a church as long as he/she is entrusted with the custody of the children;

(7) Parent left solo or alone with the responsibility of parenthood due to abandonment of spouse for at least one (1) year;

(8) Unmarried mother/father who has preferred to keep and rear her/his child/children instead of having others care for them or give them up to a welfare institution;

(9) Any other person who solely provides parental care and support to a child or children;

(10) Any family member who assumes the responsibility of head of family as a result of the death, abandonment, disappearance or prolonged absence of the parents or solo parent.

A change in the status or circumstance of the parent claiming benefits under Republic Act No. 8972, such that he/she is no longer left alone with the responsibility of parenthood, shall terminate his/her eligibility for these benefits.

Who are considered as “children”?

“Children” refer to those living with and dependent upon the solo parent for support who are unmarried, unemployed and not more than eighteen (18) years of age, or even over eighteen (18) years but are incapable of self-support because of mental and/or physical defect/disability.

What is “parental responsibility”?

With respect to minor children, it refers to the rights and duties of the parents as defined in Article 220 of Executive Order No. 209 (also known as the “Family Code of the Philippines“). Article 220 provides that the parents and those exercising parental authority shall have, with the respect to their unemancipated children on wards, the following rights and duties:

(1) To keep them in their company, to support, educate and instruct them by right precept and good example, and to provide for their upbringing in keeping with their means;

(2) To give them love and affection, advice and counsel, companionship and understanding;

(3) To provide them with moral and spiritual guidance, inculcate in them honesty, integrity, self-discipline, self-reliance, industry and thrift, stimulate their interest in civic affairs, and inspire in them compliance with the duties of citizenship;

(4) To furnish them with good and wholesome educational materials, supervise their activities, recreation and association with others, protect them from bad company, and prevent them from acquiring habits detrimental to their health, studies and morals;

(5) To represent them in all matters affecting their interests;

(6) To demand from them respect and obedience;

(7) To impose discipline on them as may be required under the circumstances; and

(8) To perform such other duties as are imposed by law upon parents and guardians.

What are the employment-related benefits available to ALL “solo parents”?

Flexible work schedule. This refers to the right of a solo parent employee to vary his/her arrival and departure time without affecting the core work hours as defined by the employer. The employer shall provide for a flexible working schedule for solo parents, as long as it shall not affect individual and company productivity. In case of certain meritorious grounds, the employer may request exemption from DOLE.

No work discrimination. Employer are prohibited from discriminating against any solo parent employee with respect to terms and conditions of employment on account of his/her status.

Parental leave. “Parental leave” means leave benefits granted to a solo parent to enable him/her to perform parental duties and responsibilities where physical presence is required. In addition to leave privileges under existing laws, parental leave of not more than seven (7) working days every year shall be granted to any solo parent employee who has rendered service of at least one (1) year.

What other benefits are available to “solo parents”?

Subject to income thresholds (“poverty threshold”) set by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) and subject to the assessment of the DSWD worker in the area, “solo parents” shall be entitled to the following:

Educational benefits, including scholarship programs for qualified solo parents and their children in institutions of basic, tertiary and technical/skills education, and nonformal education programs appropriate for solo parents and their children.

Housing benefits, including allocation in government low-cost housing projects, with liberal terms of payment.

Medical assistance, with comprehensive health care programs for solo parents and their children to be implemented by the DOH through their retained hospitals and medical centers and the local government units (LGUs) through their provincial/district/city/municipal hospitals and rural health units (RHUs).

How to apply for a Solo Parent ID

1. The solo parent-applicants shall bring the ff.:

  • Barangay certification certifying Solo Parent’s residency in the barangay for the last six months
  • Affidavit of circumstance stating the reason for becoming a solo parent (Note: Some LGUs may require only basic documents hence it is advisable to call the C/MSWDO first to check the required documents).
  • Certificates e.g., birth certificates of children, death certificate of spouse and other appropriate documentary support
  • Income tax return or any document that will establish the income level of the solo parent

2. The social worker receives and ensures that all documents are complete and registers the applications with an appropriate case number in the log-book Registry of Solo Parents.

  1. 3. The SP ID shall bear the following information:
  • ID number, name, date of birth, sex, address and income
  • Income Classification A and B e.g., A for above poverty line and B below poverty line
  • Names of the family members, their dates of birth and relationship with the bearer
  • For revalidation purposes, the ID shall indicate specific years and space for signatures/initials of the validating officer
  • Size of the SP ID should not be more than 2 x 3.5 inches.


  1. 4. The SP IDs shall be issued 30 days after filing of applications.


5  5. The SP ID card is valid for one year and renewable every year, subject to reassessment and re-evaluation by the social worker. In some instances, some LGUs indicate a three (3) year period, which will be signed/initialled by the social worker when revalidated.


6. 6. The C/MSWDO shall be responsible in the printing of the SP IDs. Proper control on the issuance of such shall be undertaken by C/MSWDO. If SP IDs are not immediately available for issuance after intake/assessment interview, the social worker shall issue a certificate of eligibility.


  1. 7. SP IDs shall be surrendered to the C/MSWDO when the solo parents transfer residence in another area. As transferees from another barangay, the solo parents shall secure a certification from the new barangay attesting whether or not they have already availed of SP services.


  1. 8. The availment of the seven days parental leave, in addition to the regular leave privileges provided by government agencies and private corporations is the right of every qualified solo parent. Solo parents may directly apply for parental leave with their employers, provided a valid SP ID is presented.


For more information, please visit your Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office in your locality. Solo parents may also post their queries on DSWD DOS or email at or cal (078) 846-7043. ###

This post was written by:

- who has written 1 posts on DSWD Field Office 2 Official Website.

Contact the author

Comments are closed.




CSO Accreditation Notice


The public, whether an individual, group or organization is invited to submit to DSWD any derogatory report or information on the CSOs who are applying for accreditation to implement programs/projects using government public funds. Check the list of CSOs here...